All of the pages on this website will have relevant information for you if you’re a care-experienced person in Wales considering university.

Below, we’ve added some specific information based on your circumstances.

Support and Advice for care experienced people thinking about university

The Complete University Guide:

Future Focus’ Care Leavers’ Guide to HE:

Propel (for details of individual universities’ support for care-experienced students):

Become’s advice on FE and HE:


UCAS advice on making choices:

Care-experienced and an asylum seeker or refugee? Check out Student Action for Refugees (STAR):

First Campus (South East Wales):

Reaching Wider (North and Mid Wales):

Reaching Wider (South West Wales):

Applying to Uni

Student Finance Wales:

Welsh Government:


Unite Foundation Scholarships (Available for care-experienced and estranged students from the UK who want to study at specific universities in England and Scotland)

Discover Uni’s finance guide for Wales:

Local authority support – contact your individual local authority as support is varied.

Transition into Uni

See University Support for links to relevant teams in Welsh universities – they can help you if your plans change

Save the Student’s Checklists:

Downloadable checklist:

Discover Uni’s guide to preparing for uni:

Open Learn (free resources from all of Wales’ universities to help you get started with higher education):

Advice from the Children’s Commissioner for England (this is also relevant to Wales!):

After Uni

Get in touch with your designated contact

Prospects, for postgraduate careers:

Career Matters’ Thrive development programme:

Postgraduate course on Prospects:

Supporting a care-experienced young person into university?

Much of the advice on the pages for care-experienced people will also apply to those who are supporting them, but there is also specific advice for carers, educators and other supportive adults here.

Back to top